Re: [jats-list] Research Articles in Simplified HTML (RASH) format v. 0.4

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Research Articles in Simplified HTML (RASH) format v. 0.4
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 17:24:59 -0000
Hi Kevin,

Yes, this is interesting.

My main question is whether @role, in RASH, is or can be constrained
to anything narrower than arbitrary strings or name tokens. If not,
much like @class in HTML, it is more or less an invitation to do
whatever you like, with the usual risks.

If the semantic trapdoors can be constrained, then
"round-trippability" (new word?) with JATS becomes a matter of how.
Irrespective of arbitrary semantic labels (i.e. ignoring any @role,
@class or goony-bird 'type' attributes), it is probably possible to
make a weak or lossy transformation back and forth, which may be
better than nothing, but not good enough for "lights out".

On the other hand, the real trick will be in the metadata. I think a
great part of the added value in JATS, at least for publishers, is in
its fairly well-balanced metadata model. If RASH has no document
metadata model, or if it does but it does not match well to JATS, then
any conversion (at least into JATS not out) is likely to get hung up
there isn't it? Or is a conversion still useful if it leaves lots of
the nominal metadata behind, or recasts it into a form not known to
receivers in advance?

So yes, a round trip is conceivable but probably only when data can be
further constrained on one side or both. (See my JATS-Con 2015 paper.)
Interestingly, this does not mean it will always be difficult!

Cheers, Wendell

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Kevin Hawkins
kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Folks on this might be interested in this project to "express academic
> research articles" in a restricted subset of HTML:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/forcnet/2RXwUISQP6I
>
> Would be interesting to see if you could round-trip content between JATS and
> RASH ...
>
> That message comes from the mailing list of FORCE11 (
> https://www.force11.org/ ), an organization folks here might be interested
> in participating in.
>
> Kevin

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing