Re: [jats-list] Differences between JATS, BITS 1.0 and BITS 2.0

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Differences between JATS, BITS 1.0 and BITS 2.0
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:29:57 -0000
Dear Franziska

The BITS committee is doing its best to balance competing requirements:
  1. being as compatible with JATS as possible
  2. modeling books, which are much larger, more varied, and more complex
     than journal articles.
Sometimes this means that there are compromises.

It may help for you to know that one of the goals of the BITS model is
that a JATS article should be able to become a BITS <book-part> with
minimum changes. The equivalence is between <article> and <book-part>
not between <article> and <book>. This means that there are quite a
few structures at the <book> level that are different from those in
JATS <article>s.

In the case of <page-count> and <book-page-count>, the differences are
because for journal articles page count is a simple number. The element
is empty and the number of pages is conveyed as an attribute value:
   <page-count count="6"/>
The page count of a book may be much more complex, and the committee
decided this complexity should be modeled in the metadata. So,
<book-page-count> (which is called Book-level Page Count)
may have content that describes the types of pages and the number of
each. For example:
  <book-page-count count="336">vi+330</book-page-count>
Book parts (which are the analog to JATS <article>s) can have <page-count>s.

As for @pub-type, use of @pub-type has been deprecated (meaning,
use is discouraged because it has been replaced by something better
and it is likely to be removed in a future version of the standard).
You might find it useful to read the first paragraph on page:
 http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/tag-library/1.1/attribute/pub-type.html
Since JATS had already deprecated @pub-type when BITS was developed,
BITS adopted the preferred model from JATS. This was so that BITS users
would not experience disruption when @pub-type is removed from a future
version.

I hope that helps.

 Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering why there are specific differences within the JATS family,
just two examples, that make my life more complicated:
> 7         Changing <page-count> to <book-page-count> from BITS 1.0 to BITS
2.0? It doesnt make sense for book-parts anymore (but is allowed there).
> 7         Type-Attributes for <pub-date>: it has been @pub-type for a
while (and is still valid for JATS), but has been changed to
@publication-format for BITS (1.0 and 2.0). I know @publication-format is now
available for JATS too, but it makes standardization more complicated.