[jats-list] Re: Table Subheads

Subject: [jats-list] Re: Table Subheads
From: "Michael Cunningham michael.cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:28:41 -0000
Hi Gareth

This might be too simplistic, but a possible solution using the XHTML table
model might be as follows:
I believe that using the 'table header cell' element <th> in either the table
header <thead> or the table body <tbody> is valid (see example in
http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.1/element/th.html)
So perhaps marking up the 'subheadings' in <tbody> with the <th> element (with
@colspan (?)) would distinguish them from the regular table data <td> content
within main table body, and at least allow them to be rendered/styled
differently to the rest of the table body.
e.g.

<thead>
<th>Condition</th>
<th>Pressure at Top of Vessel</th>
<th>Pressure Due to Static Head [Note (1)]</th>
<th>Temperature</th>
<th>Remarks</th>
</thead>
<tbody>
<th colspan="5">Condition 1</td>
</tbody>

all the best

Michael

Michael Cunningham
Publishing Operations Manager
Portland Press | Biochemical Society
Charles Darwin House, 12 Roger Street, London WC1N 2JU, UK
email: michael.cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx