Re: [jats-list] Appropriate markup for a tweet citation

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Appropriate markup for a tweet citation
From: "Alf Eaton eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 13:00:28 -0000
Thanks Laura, we're going to go with <string-alternative
content-type="twitter-username"> inside <name-alternatives> as you
suggest.

I'm also not sure what to do with the publication date, ideally marked
up in this format:
<date date-type="pub" iso-8601-date="2014-02-01T14:50">2:50 PM - 1 Feb
2014</date>

As text content isn't allowed inside `<date>`, there are several options:

* string-date:
https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.1/element/string-date.html
says "This Tag Set allows <string-date> both inside <date> and at the
same level as <date>.", but the DTD doesn't actually allow
<string-date> inside <date>.

* date-in-citation:
https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.1/element/date-in-citation.
html
says "A <date-in-citation> element should _not_ be used to record the
publication date" so that's out of the question.

* The only remaining option is just to use `<date date-type="pub"
iso-8601-date="2014-02-01T14:50"/>` and leave the formatted output up
the renderer. Which is the sensible option, but a bit painful without
XSLT 2.0.

Alf

On 1 December 2016 at 12:34, Randall, Laura (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]
laura.randall@xxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I haven't had to use this before, but I do think that using
<name-alternatives> would be a good solution.

> You could do something like this:
>
> <person-group person-group-type="author">
>
>   <name-alternatives>
>
>       <name>
>
>         <surname>Zaman</surname>
>
>         <given-names>L</given-names>
>
>       </name>
>
>      <string-name content-type="twitter-handle">@LuisZaman</string-name>
>
>   </name-alternatives>
>
> </person-group>
>

> Handling it this way would allow you to keep the parsed name distinct from
the twitter handle. Specifying the @content-type on the string name would
allow you to include handles/usernames from various social media platforms all
associated with the same individual's parsed name.