[jats-list] Re: Tagging user facility support - ORCID Working Group question

Subject: [jats-list] Re: Tagging user facility support - ORCID Working Group question
From: "Mark Doyle doyle@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 18:39:53 -0000
Hi,

Thanks Chuck and Tommie for your earlier reply. To be clear, this is
distinct from  (but related to) intramural funding because the "award" is
to someone outside of the funding organization, whereas intramural funding
is funding to people who work within a funding organization (for example,
an employee of NASA whose work is supported by NASA by virtue of their
employment status, but there is no explicit award). Furthermore, intramural
funding isn't always the same as being an employee of a funding source,
which makes that particular issue rather tricky.

On the specific issue I am asking about, the user facilities do issue
awards to (external) principal investigators, but it is for things like
beam time, computational time, etc. The awards have a proposal id that are
used as unique identifiers.

So both Tommie and Chuck have suggested keeping this information within
<funding-group>, but with Chuck suggesting more specific tagging to better
distinguish traditional funding from these other kinds of support. These
could be divided into separate <funding-group>'s with an attribute
distinguishing the types of support, but if we are going to add new tags,
perhaps a better container element than <funding-group> should be
entertained as well (my option #2, but with revisions).

In support of this: off-list, I had solicited input from one of the people
involved in maintaining the open funder registry. He pointed out (like
Tommie) that there are other kinds of support that may need to be
acknowledged. For example USGS provides maps and others provide physical
samples. One could easily envision the entities involved would want to be
able to easily track their contributions as well. So we would need to think
carefully about how to incorporate these kinds of things in a scalable way
that allays Tommie's concerns about an expanding list of tags. This person
also suggested not conflating funding with these other kinds of support
and, thus, expressed a preference for a more developed version of Option #2.

Let me suggest more generic tags than in my original undeveloped Option #2:
<research-support-group>
    <research-support support-type=".....">
         <support-id>
         <principle-support-recipient>
         <support-source>
        <support-description>

Would this be more palatable? I agree with Chuck that submitting this for
discussion by the Standing Committee is the most sensible thing; my
interest here is to make sure the committee has a good starting point for
their consideration. I am sure there will be a 1.2d2, so there is no need
to try to get this into 1.2d1, which I am eagerly awaiting for other
reasons! ;^)

Best,
Mark