Re: [jats-list] BITS DTD costumization

Subject: Re: [jats-list] BITS DTD costumization
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:37:29 -0000
Hi Paulin,

I also briefly noticed a '(' issue when trying to debug your other issue with undeclared entities.

Does it go away when you validate BITS-book2.dtd? Then it's probably related to the lack of DTD master file support that Radu mentioned.

The second problem that you describe, undeclared entities in your new models, is probably the same as the one you reported recently?

You can send me the current state of your customization in a private message and I can try to figure out what's going on. (I cannot promise to look into it before Sunday though because I still have to prepare the slides for the talk that I'm going to give at XML Prague tomorrow.)

I briefly mentioned that customizing the schema in oXygen could be easier if you used a format for which master file support exists, such as Relax NG.

Going back from an RNG schema to DTD can be difficult to impossible though, since you can express things in RNG that are illegal in DTD. You can avoid this by avoiding such constructs, but you'd still need a tool that converts the RNG back to DTD. I don't know whether there exists some XSLT for it.

Being a staunch proponent of RNG, I'd personally stick with the RNG-based customization without ever trying to go back to DTD.

As an example of how such a customization looks like, you can have a look at the HoBoTS (Hogrefe Book Tag Set) customization that is built on BITS-book1.rng: https://hobots.hogrefe.com/schema/hobots.rng
You can download the whole customization from https://hobots.hogrefe.com/schema/hobots.zip (the schema still says the package is at http:... rather than https:...)

Gerrit