[jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "Mark Doyle doyle@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 19:55:14 -0000
Hi all,

Our editors would like to allow authors to specify preferred pronouns in
their manuscripts. Although the initial goal is to provide this in a
footnote for just the corresponding author, I'd like to tag this in a more
general way that would allow any author to add this to their name. So far
the best option I have been able to work out is to slightly misuse the
<name-alternatives> tagging:

<contrib contrib-type="author">
  <name-alternatives>
    <name>
       <surname>Isobe</surname>
       <given-names>M.</given-names>
    </name>
    <string-name specific-use="preferred-pronouns">they/them</string-name>
  </name-alternatives>
</contrib>

Does anyone have a better suggestion for how to handle this?

Best,
Mark

Mark Doyle
American Physical Society