STS validation warnings

Subject: STS validation warnings
From: Dan Berger <dberger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:40:48 -0500
Hello,

I ran a standard in NISO STS through the W3 XML validator and it came back valid except for these two warning. Can someone please advise on how to fix these or at least address them? Having worked with XML before I understand the warnings, but don't know how to address them with this DTD. Thanks.

1.  Missing "charset" attribute for "text/xml" document.
The HTTP Content-Type header (text/xml) sent by your web browser (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/63.0.3239.132 Safari/537.36) did not contain a "charset" parameter, but the Content-Type was one of the XML text/* sub-types.
The relevant specification (RFC 3023) specifies a strong default of "us-ascii" for such documents so we will use this value regardless of any encoding you may have indicated elsewhere.
If you would like to use a different encoding, you should arrange to have your browser send this new encoding information.
2.  No DOCTYPE found! Checking XML syntax only.
The DOCTYPE Declaration was not recognized or is missing. This probably means that the Formal Public Identifier contains a spelling error, or that the Declaration is not using correct syntax, or that your XML document is not using a DOCTYPE Declaration.
Validation of the document has been skipped, and a simple check of the well-formedness of the XML syntax has been performed instead.

Daniel Berger
Senior Manager of Production
American Water Works Association
6666 West Quincy Ave., Denver, CO 80235
Direct 303.347.6264 | Mobile 406.370.9095
dberger@xxxxxxxx | www.awwa.org

This communication is the property of the American Water Works Association and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.

American Water Works Association
Dedicated to the World's Most Important Resource ®