Re: [niso-sts] Where to put <long-desc>

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Where to put <long-desc>
From: "Denise French dfrenchlibrary@xxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 20:45:52 -0000
Thank you, but this does not help. WHERE should that long description to
which the document points BE? Is it part of the XML? That is, if the long
description is a paragraph, where in the XML is that paragraph? And if it
is not in the XML, where should it be? Are we expected to put it on a
public server in a place that we hope will never change and point to it?
This seems odd, and probably unworkable.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but it looks to me like the "Best
Practice" is to put the actual text of the long description outside the
<long-desc> tag, but I don't see any guidance on where to put it.

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Robert Wheeler wheelerr@xxxxxxxx <
niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Denise,
>

> This is one of the tags (and descriptions) binheritedb from JATS.
> Apologies if I am misunderstanding your question, but under the Remarks,
> there is some further description:
> bLong Description Contents: This element was originally designed to
> *contain* a description, but some newer systems expect this element to
> contain a URI that points to such a description.b
>

> So, the element can contain this long description, but could also contain
> a URI that points to that long description.
>

> Please let me know if I am misunderstanding your question.
>

> Thanks,
> Robert

<http://www.niso-sts.org/TagLibrary/niso-sts-TL-1-0-html/attribute/xlink-href
.html> attribute
> so that a link can be made."
>

> What I don't see is what it should link TO. And if, as I guess, it should
> link to a textual description, where should that description be? It seems
> logical that it should be part of the XML of the document, because if it is
> not it won't be transmitted with the document. But ... where. And tagged
> how? And if NOT part of the document, then where should it be and how will
> people know to point to it?
>

> Thank you.
>

> You are subscribed as dfrenchlibrary@xxxxxxxxx to NISO STS Discussion by
Mulberry