Re: [niso-sts] Where to put <long-desc>

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Where to put <long-desc>
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 21:10:24 -0000
Denise,

You have a choice:

a) Put the text in the long-desc element itself, which supports older
systems

<long-desc>My description</long-desc>

b) Put a URI in the long-desc element, and place the text at the location
of the URI

<long-desc>
https://mywebsite.com/standard1234/long-desc/figure1_desc.html
</long-desc>

and then place the text "My description" at the URI inside long-desc

c) Put both in long-desc

<long-desc xlink:href="
https://mywebsite.com/standard1234/long-desc/figure1_desc.html ">My
description
https://mywebsite.com/standard1234/long-desc/figure1_desc.html
</long-desc>

where the URI appears in both xlink:href and in the element content. This
is the most compatible practice across all systems. It's option c that's
described in the best practice note at
http://www.niso-sts.org/TagLibrary/niso-sts-TL-1-0-html/element/long-desc.htm

Bruce