Re: [niso-sts] Conditional expressions, units of measure and boolean operators

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Conditional expressions, units of measure and boolean operators
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 13:37:00 -0000
Hi Doro,

<named-content> is appropriate, at least for the time being.

I already noted btagging of requirementsb as an item for the next iteration of NISO STS. We need to gather requirements for these requirements though, so it would be beneficial if you were able to obtain and share examples from real standards.

You can check the adequacy of your tagging by emulating how you would extract the tagged information for the target use case, probably some search or otherwise interactive application.

I wouldnbt call bifb a Boolean operator, I would rather call the whole statement a conditional statement and mark up the whole condition (bif the sun is shiningb) and the consequence (btemperature > 20 B0Cb) as such.
Ibd call bandb or borb Boolean operators that can combine other conditional statements.
It should be clear for an extraction tool which two predicates such an operator pertains to, so the formal relationship between these clauses should somehow also be encoded. Maybe by nested <named-content> elements.

You should also consider that content will inevitably become less human-readable if it is marked up with many, potentially nested, <named-content>s with all kinds of vocab attributes. I donbt have an immediate remedy for this though.

Although it is not available in STS right now, you can think about how youbd encode the same info using RDFa instead of named-content or even introduce a parallel formalized encoding of the requirements using RDF or OWL. These alternative formalized modelings are a bit like element-citation vs. mixed-citation or TBX vs. term-display (in their respective fields, citations and terminology).

I think it is important to explore whether everything, although maybe a bit clumsy or ad-hoc, may be expressed as named-content; or whether some automatic reasoning or whatever the intended application should perform depends on a more formalized modeling that cannot be superimposed on the requirement prose.

In any case, if you play through the modeling b extraction b application scenarios, you should get a good feeling for the adequacy of your concepts. And if you share your findings, it will inform the future directions of STS in this important area.

Gerrit