Re: [niso-sts] <subj-group> and marking up taxonomies

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] <subj-group> and marking up taxonomies
From: "dal dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 15:32:43 -0000
> On Apr 23, 2018, at 7:55 AM, DorothC)e Stadler doro@xxxxxxxxxxx  wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> I have a question about the element <subj-group>. Why is this element only
allowed inside the various bmetab elements?
> It is of course useful to be able to have this categorisation into different
taxonomies or vocabularies alongside ICS, but we have use cases where webd
like to add more detailed taxonomies at the section, paragraph or requirement
level. The <kwd-group>  is also quite restricted in where it is allowed. Am I
missing something or is there no element that would enable markup of
taxonomies at a more detailed level (apart from my good friend <named-content>
of course) :-)

In JATS (one of the NISO STS parent standards)
there is an element inside Section (<sec>)
called <sec-meta> that holds (among other things)
keyword groups (<kwd-group>). Also in JATS,
keyword groups are allowed inside figure,
statement, display equation, tables, boxed-text,
appendices, graphic and media, etc.

NISO STS allows keywords only in appendix groups,
figure groups, graphic and media, and all the
standard-level metadata containers.

Most probably, NISO STS does not allow keywords in
all the places JATS does, because ISO STS did not use them,
and STS version 1.0 was heavily influenced by ISO STS.

Enhanced keyword positioning would be easy (and backward
compatible) to add to STS.

It sounds to me like this should be a request to the (newly
constituted and not yet meeting) NISO STS Standing Committee.

Please add a "Comment on the Tag Suite" on the form at:
     http://niso-sts.org/

bDebbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron