Re: [niso-sts] Re: Using fractions in text

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Re: Using fractions in text
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:39:08 -0000
Hi Dan,

I think most publishers a) avoid the small number of special fractions like
1/2 or 1/4, and b) either setup as plain text like "3/32" or setup as
MathML depending on their specific business requirements.

I think the key question to ask is why do you want to treat them as other
than plain text like "3/32"? Is it so they look great in PDF? That may be
fine, but in today's multi-channel world, what you do to make great-looking
fractions in PDF may not work well in HTML or ePub format (e.g. many
eReaders don't support MathML). So before deciding on a technology
solution, make sure your business requirement is clear, and then make sure
solution you choose will work in multiple media, not just PDF.

Best,

Bruce