[niso-sts] Problems caused by same file names in STS 1.0 and 1.2

Subject: [niso-sts] Problems caused by same file names in STS 1.0 and 1.2
From: "Dames, Joni jdames@xxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:25:47 -0000
Hi everyone,

At some point a decision was made to use the same file names for STS DTD files
going from version 1.0 to 1.2, even though the contents are not the same
between those versions. This caused a very weird problem for a piece of
software I've been using for years to package up and distribute files. Even
though I have the 1.0 files in one location, and the 1.2 files in another
location, the software I'm using sees that the filename is the same and
overwrites the 1.0 files with the 1.2 contents. I have no idea why it's doing
something so incredibly wrong, but it stopped doing that when I renamed the
1.2 files to reflect the version number (and updated the contents to then
point at the updated file names).

Since I can't fix the software I'm using and I'm currently stuck using that
software for the foreseeable future, it would be great if the STS DTD files
going forward could be named to reflect the contents and version, the same way
the JATS and BITS DTD files are named. And while it's probably not best
practice, it is also very possible that someone would want to put files for
multiple versions of a DTD in the same location, which is not possible if the
filenames are the same across versions.

Thanks!
Joni
The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended
only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, any use, review, distribution, reproduction or any action
taken in reliance upon this message is strictly prohibited. If you received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently
delete all copies of the email and any attachments.
Click here for translations of this
disclaimer.<https://secure.wiley.com/email-disclaimers>