Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:54:07 -0500
Boris Moore wrote:

> Our XML parser does a completed parse, and conserves the grove in
> memory, before the Stylesheet construction rules are fired.  The
> action part of the stylesheet can obtain information about any part
> of the grove, such as "how many children of element type 'foo' does
> such and such an element have".  The target element can be specified
> by an ID attribute value, or by a contextual relationship to another
> element.  Thus processing performed by the action for a given element
> can depend, for example, on how many siblings it has of the same
> element type, which number it is itself in the series of siblings etc.

Could you demonstrate how this problem would be solved in your language?
I ask because having access to more context does not in itself solve the
problem. It moves some of the complexity from the right hand side into
the query, but unless you can match element patterns you will probably
still have the same problem.

[Woody Allen on Hollywood in "Annie Hall"]
Annie: "It's so clean down here."
Woody: "That's because they don't throw their garbage away. They make
        it into television shows."