RE: Style vs. transformation

Subject: RE: Style vs. transformation
From: Tony Stewart <tony.stewart@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 14:39:03 -0000
Frank Boumphrey wrote:

"No, but isn't XSL meant to be for the HTML crowd, 98% of whom know
something
about Javascript, and 1% of whom know about Python?

"My understanding is that XSL was implemented because DSSSL-0 was too
complicated for the average web author."

I think of XSL as that set of styling capabilities that we can
reasonably expect industry-standard browsers to support natively in a
year or two. Thus, the discussion aims to find the right match between
power and practical implementability - small footprint, platform
independence, etc. So it's not just a question of what the author can
write; it's also a question of what the browser vendors can reasonably
be expected to implement.

While most people writing XSL will probably target HTML output, those of
us writing for intranets have a lot of other options and outputs in
mind. And over time, some subset of those other options will become
generally available over the Internet too.

Tony Stewart
RivCom
"Publishing Structured Information"
www.rivcom.com