Re: Style vs. transformation

Subject: Re: Style vs. transformation
From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:17:49 -0800
>>Thus, the discussion aims to find the right match between
power and practical implementability - small footprint, platform
independence, etc<<

Agreed. One of the criteria for the XML specification, which I suppose must
apply to the XSL specification is

"1.1.4 It shall be easy to write programs which process XML documents."

As all application programmers soon as one starts writing software for
transformations and other "innocent" little add-ons the complexity of the
code increases exponentialy. I think that the XSL spec recognises this when
it stipulates

    "2.XSL should be expressed in XML syntax.

    3.XSL should provide a declarative language to do all common formatting
tasks.

    4.XSL should provide an ?escape? into a scripting language to
accommodate more sophisticated formatting tasks and to allow for
extensibility and completeness."

    To have access to a complete scripting language API rather than having
to "roll your own" is a tremendous advantage. As an application programmer I
would hate to see XSL achieve anything approaching the complexity of DSSSl.

>>, those of
>us writing for intranets have a lot of other options and outputs in
>mind. <<

    But those of you writing for intra nets have those options available
already, you dont have to worry about the above issues, you can dictate what
interpretive software your users use, and use Jade if you want to.

    At the moment those of us NOT writing for intra nets have enough
headaches even with such a simple thing as the different interpretations put
on CSS1 by the big two!!

    Frank Boumphrey