Re: Is DSSSL-O dead?

Subject: Re: Is DSSSL-O dead?
From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:15:29 -0800
>>As for the DTD issue, I
>urge you to reconsider.  To me the SDQL side of DSSSL is of equal if not
>greater importance than the style side; for this the DTD is essential.
>I've also never understood why the DTD is a problem.)  <<

    I agree, however DSSSL-O  is for use with XML, and sometimes (usually)
there will be no DTD present, so DSSSL-O must just work with a well formed
document.

>>Would you consider
>throwing together a memo based on what you found in your course for
>contribution to the DSSSL doco project?<<

    Absolutely, if I can be of any help just let me know. However, I am very
far from being a DSSSL guru, I just learnt enough to teach it!! (Now doesn't
that scare you!!, if you can, do it, if you can't etc..).

Paul in another posting said:

"DSSSL is not that hard, but the syntax frightens people and will always do
so.  Real, honest-to-goodness-I-went-to-university-for-four-years computer
programmers are still scared of fully parenthesized prefix syntax. I
don't think that end-users will ever accept it."

    and I think the relevant phrase is "Real,
honest-to-goodness-I-went-to-university-for-four-years computer
programmers ", because they "know" how things are meant to be done, and when
they come across a contrary idea, they take fright. My students were all
newbies (and some of only average intelligence), but they had no problem
with the concept of a "fully parenthesized prefix syntax" because they
hadn't yet learnt it was "wrong".

Frank