Re: Why Core Flow Objects

Subject: Re: Why Core Flow Objects
From: Francois Belanger <francois@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 98 09:34:31 -0400
Paul Prescod wrote on 09/04/98 14:42:

>It is a stylesheet language for applying style
>(formatting!) to XML documents. Thought of in that way, the reasons for
>the current choices are probably clear.

So it seems that using CDATA for embedding HTML or other non-DSSSL markup
is a hack. So that means that we will have to wait not only until all
browsers supports XML parsing but also XSL stylesheets for display to put
XML to work (I find CSS way too limited). This could take many many
months, there's still a lot of Netscape 2s and MS IE 3 out there.

Since I have control of servers but not of clients, I saw XSL as a way to
put XML to work *right now* by parsing an XML grove on server-side on the
fly and delivering it into different formats (HTML yes, but also email,
DHTML for IE or for Navigator, HTML for palmtops, etc.).

Francois Belanger
Sitepak, Bringing Internet Business into Focus
http://www.sitepak.com