Attributes of the flow object elements

Subject: Attributes of the flow object elements
From: "Andrew n marshall" <amarshal@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:04:07 -0700

There are a couple of thing I have not been able to figure out about XSL and I would appreciate any help people have to offer.

First off, are the attributes specified on the elements corresponding to flow objects limited to the characteristics of the flow object's class?
If the answer to the above is 'no', then I assume that the characteristics are applied to/inherited by the descendants of the flow object.  Is this correct?  For example, in appendix A of the XSL proposal to the W3C, the characteristic 'font-family-name' is applied to the top level object 'scroll', but the DSSSL specification does not declare the characteristic of the class nor declare an super-class for Scroll.  Perhaps this answers my question, but I would like to make sure I am not missing anything.

And lastly, could someone give me a better description of 'side effects', or at least a pointer to such a description.

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
    http://www.media-electronica.com/anm-bin/anm
      "Everyone a mentor, Everyone a pupil"