Re: CSS Flow Objects in XSL [WAS: RE: HTML Flow objects that span rules]

Subject: Re: CSS Flow Objects in XSL [WAS: RE: HTML Flow objects that span rules]
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:11:46 -0400
Mark_Overton@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think it comes down to this.  Different media will always have different
> logical structures.

I don't think that anybody disagrees. DSSSL has separate (but overlapping)
sets of flow objects for print and online. XSL is only designed for online
(right now), and thus does not yet. I also pointed out that separate flow
objects for aural output would also be useful at some point. The only
reason I disagreed with you is because you used the specific example of
tables of contents and RTF. RTF is not a medium and tables of contents are
constructed in pretty much the same way for print and online anyhow.

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html