Re: Doubt in using <A> within XSL

Subject: Re: Doubt in using <A> within XSL
From: "eduardo.gutentag" <Eduardo.Gutentag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 11:52:10 -0700 (PDT)
> / Amit Rekhi <amitr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
> | Let me explain the scenario I am trying to create.
> |
> | I have the following (incomplete) constrution rule :-
> |
> | <rule>
> |   <target-element type="section"/>
> |       <A href="section.htm">Hyper Link</A>
> | </rule>
> |
> | Using this construction rule, I want to pass the data of the target element
> | <section> (present in my XML file) to the section.htm file. |
> | How do I do that??
>
> You can't.  There's no provision in the XSL submision for doing that.
>
> I think it's an interesting problem.  I frequently use Jade to
> create lots of separate HTML files from a single XML/SGML
> instance.  This works fine because I basically build my website
> with Jade.
>
> However, looking forward to a day when I'll be able to just
> publish my source instances and an XSL stylesheet, how will I
> get this chunking behavior?
>
> One thought is that I'll have to chunk my sources.  Rather than
> having what is essentially a single huge XML document and
> bursting it into dozens of pages before putting it on the
> server, maybe I'll have to maintain my source as dozens of
> separate XML documents.  Linked together with XLinks?

Hm, I don't know if that's the right question, Norm. Seems to me that it boils
down to whether XSL is a server-side style-sheet language (a la Jade, or
rather, like Jade can be used), or a client-side one. If the latter, which I
believe is how the current submission approaches it, the chunking should be
done at the server-side, but that brings up the issue of how the style sheet is
then supposed to traverse the tree when all it has is a bit of a chunk to work
on. As you say, it's an interesting problem.

Eduardo