Re: XML + (XSL | CSS) ?

Subject: Re: XML + (XSL | CSS) ?
From: Francois Belanger <francois@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 98 17:10:08 -0400
Jelks Cabaniss wrote on 15/05/98 15:56:

>Who's going to do it?

CSS is great, true, but for client-side only and with browsers that
support it!

We're actually XSL to work today, on server-side, selecting style-sheet
depending on client making the request and generating output on the fly
(and not only HTML clients). That's great, and I don't have to wait for
browsers to support neither XSL or CSS 2 (that will take years before all
browsers do). Meanwhile, whenever there's a CSS-capable browser making a
request, simply select an XSL style-sheet that generates CSS. XSL spec
changing? Hey, fine-tune the server-side program and everything is ok.

For me, XSL is for server-side and CSS is for clients-side.

See Sean Russell Docproc for a good example of server-side XSL put to
work today:

http://javalab.uoregon.edu/ser/software/docproc_2/

Francois Belanger
Sitepak, Bringing Internet Business into Focus
http://www.sitepak.com