Re: XSL formatting model

Subject: Re: XSL formatting model
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:51:07 -0400
Lee Fife wrote:
> But, the folks on the WG are bright and experienced. I'm sure they're
> not heading in this direction w/o thought.
>
> So, explanation please? What's the rationale for abandoning the proven
> and deployed formatting model represented by HTML/CSS and attempting to
> develop a new model?

I think that the most compelling reason is that we have an opportunity not
just to move the Web to generic markup, but also to move it to decent
display technology. Typographers rightly laugh at the Web as a backwater
of poor usability and design. That's not just the way people use the
technology, it is the technology itself. It does not allow design that
take advantage of centuries of experience about the way that the human eye
works.  If you look at the XSL requirements, you'll find that they go far,
far beyond what HTML allows.

I think that it would be wrong-headed to try to move into the future
incrementally. It would be like trying to describe XML as an "extension"
of HTML. The "extension" is going to be much larger, more robust and
better thought out than the original.

Three things to be wary of: A new kid in his prime
A man who knows the answers, and code that runs first time
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html