Re: XML Transformation Language (was Re: removing HTML flow obje cts?)

Subject: Re: XML Transformation Language (was Re: removing HTML flow obje cts?)
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:58:04 -0400
Rob McDougall wrote:

> Let's say I have a database product and I wish to import any XML
> document.  Now being considerate of my customer's needs, I want to
> leverage some industry standard if I can.  I notice that XSL allows
> someone to specify a series of patterns/rules to route the content into
> "flow objects".  This sounds like just the ticket.  I can define a few
> DB related "flow objects" e.g. table, row, column.

I agree that there should be a simple transformation language, but
database import is not transformation, in my opinion. Rows and columns are
not a flow object. Flow objects do not overlap in the way that rows and
columns do. Within a couple of years, every database will have XML import,
so XSL will not be very relevant. In the meantime, you can accomplish the
same thing in a few lines of Java, C++ or Python code. I don't know why
you would want to use XSL in that situation.

Three things to be wary of: A new kid in his prime
A man who knows the answers, and code that runs first time
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html