RE: Can data be controlled with XSL?

Subject: RE: Can data be controlled with XSL?
From: "Mary P McRae" <sgmlgeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:54:09 -0400

> Dan Hable wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to create a system for authors to create documents. I've made
> > the DTD and the authors have keyed in the data for documents. I wanted
> > to validate the document using the authors name. There is only a limited
> > set of data that can be in the author's name field. Is it possible,
> > using XSL, to go into a database and pull a name out, check the data and
> > then continue processing if the data is valid.
It sounds like what you really want to do is validate this at creation time
(using valid XML). You can do this by creating an attribute on the name
element with a choice list:

<!ATTLIST author
          name    (Jones|Smith|Brown)  #REQUIRED >

Depending on the editing tool, it should force the user to choose one of the
valid names from the selection list; or, if you're using a text editor,
would be checked upon parsing.

     Mary P. McRae
     Senior Program Manager
     Document Management Solutions, Inc.