Re: How to do XML to XML translation

Subject: Re: How to do XML to XML translation
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:38:54 +0200
Stefan Trcek wrote:

> I want to convert a XML source language into another XML destination
> language.  So I setup an XSL spec to do the conversion, I use xsl4j
> to convert to DSSSL and jade to convert to the destination.

That sounds pretty lossy, to me.

> I guess, I'd either define my own flow objects (and make xsl4j, jade
> know of it, how?)

As you can see, not a good way

>  or output the destination as plain text.

It would be better to output using something that knows about XML,
rather than faking it with plain text.

> What is an appropriate way to do it?

Style languages may appear to do some transformation, but this is merely
a 1:n mapping of elements to flow objects (where n is between zero and
several ;-)

The actual source tree is not changed; rather, a flow object tree is
constructed that happens to not have the same structure as the source
tree.

To do semantic-preserving, high quality transformations, use a
transformation language, not a style language. I suggest looking at
CoST.

--
Chris