Re: Restricted HTML elements in output of XML-to-HTML?

Subject: Re: Restricted HTML elements in output of XML-to-HTML?
From: Stefan Mintert <mintert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:15:04 +0200

---------
 > I use the xslj/jade combination on a Solaris 2.5 machine.
 >
 > It seems that the set of possible HTML tags that can be specified in
 > the XSL specification is quite limited.  In particular, H1 through H6
 > do not seem to be among the allowed output tags, neither UL, OL, DL
 > and friends.

Why don't you use only Jade?

I've written a German translation of the XML 1.0 spec and used Jade for the
conversion to HTML. It worked very well!

 > I would like to transform XML to HTML, and the generated HTML should
 > contain tags like H1 and DL.  I would like to create HTML pages where
 > the reader can configure his or her browser such that the pages look
 > like they want, not like I specify in the XSL stylesheet.

Isn't that one idea of CSS? to have a client side style sheet?

=====
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#the-cascade
3    The cascade
[...]

author/reader balance
      Both readers and authors can influence the presentation
      through style sheets. To do so, they use the same style
      sheet language thus reflecting a fundamental feature of the
      web: everyone can become a publisher. The UA is free to
      choose the mechanism for referencing personal style
      sheets.
=====

Just wait for the UA which supports this ;-)

Bye,

 Stefan.

  Stefan Mintert
       UniDo:    mintert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx