Re: `High-level' format specifications with XSL?

Subject: Re: `High-level' format specifications with XSL?
From: Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Jul 1998 18:36:42 +0200

  > Admittedly, this is a confusing part of what's called XSL.  XSL is
  > developing into a language that can specify a "stylesheet" that
  > can do one of two things (that is, any given "stylesheet" can only
  > do one of the two):
  >
  > 1.  Specify how to map an XML document into a structure of
  > formatting objects with formatting properties that is meant to
  > drive a composition process.  This is the process I assumed in the
  > first part of my response above.
  >
  > 2.  Specify how to map one XML document into a second XML
  > document.  In this case, the result is "just" another XML document
  > which is no closer to having defined style *as far as XSL is
  > concerned* than the original one.  In this case, XSL is being used
  > to specify a transformation, so the so-called "stylesheet" is
  > really a "transformation specification."

Okay.  So it seems I'm trying to do the wrong thing.  What I really
want is to produce HTML, which falls under category 2 (mostly).

I was confused by the fact that in XSL I can say I want <HTML> and
<BODY> elements in the output (if one is using HTML flow control
objects).  This sounded a lot like one could produce HTML, but it
seems to do something different, even though the document that pops
out after I do the xslj/jade thing looks a lot like an HTML document.

So, given that I use xslj/jade, is there a way for me to do the
XML->XML transformation thing?  If not, is there any other software
which runs on Solaris which can do this?

kai
--
You ate somebody? -- Just a leg. -- That's terrible! -- Not with mustard.
(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)