Re: `High-level' format specifications with XSL?

Subject: Re: `High-level' format specifications with XSL?
From: Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Jul 1998 09:06:21 +0200

  > Then it sounds like what you need to do is:
  >
  > 1.  define some XML document type definition with elements like
  > 'heading' and such--let's call this the MLPL (mid-level
  > presentation language) DTD;
  > 2.  define one or more XSL transformation specs that map your XML
  > source documents into an MLPL document;
  > 3a. define one or more XSL stylesheets that map your MLPL
  > documents into flow objects and properties that can be processed
  > by some tool into something that some formatter can handle, and/or
  > 3b. define one or more XSL transformation specs that map your MLPL
  > documents into HTML plus CSS that give you the desired view in a
  > browser.

Right.  This is what I want.

  > Then running an XSL processor on your input document and the
  > transformation spec developed in 2 above gives you the level of
  > abstraction that I think you want, e.g., mapping input element
  > types to headings.
  >
  > Twiddling the XSL trans spec/stylesheet developed in 3a and/or 3b
  > above affects the definition of what a heading looks like.
  >
  > I am not familiar enough with the various tools to know how far
  > you can get with this scenario in our current version of reality.

Well, can anybody help me with explaining how to do transformations
(from XML to XML) in XSL?  All the tutorials I've read only deal with
the formatting part.

tia,
kai
--
You ate somebody? -- Just a leg. -- That's terrible! -- Not with mustard.
(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)