Re: EcmaScript, gone?

Subject: Re: EcmaScript, gone?
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 01:26:54 +0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>James Tauber wrote:
>> There is a distinction to be drawn between scripts that describe the
>> behaviour of certain elements at the client end (how a header responds to
>> mouseover event) with procedural parts of an XSL stylesheet (section
>> numbering).
>>
>> The ECMAScript part of XSL-NOTE was for the latter. The term "behaviour
>> sheets" I've always taken to mean the former.

>I agree that there is a distinction. I'm just not sure if it is profitable
>to make it any more.

Oh, I agree right back at you! :-)

The only reason I raised the point is that I sensed some people were talking
about different things and didn't realise it.

>Just as today's web pages often have an "OnLoad" that
>can modify the look of the page for it is displayed, future pages might
>have an:
>
>OnLISTITEMStart( item ){
>
>}
>
>which would manipulate the list item's flow objects.

I remember Steve Ball and I having a conversation in the hotel lobby at the
Australian WWW Technical Conference April last year where we deliberated
over whether style (eg making something blue) was distinct from behaviour
(eg response to mouseOver). After all, style could just be viewed as
response to a "Display" event.

James
--
James Tauber / jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.jtauber.com/