Re: FW: XSL - Loss to braille style sheets?

Subject: Re: FW: XSL - Loss to braille style sheets?
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 09:42:23 -0500
Pawson, David wrote:

> This is an extract from a post to the protocols and formats group
> of the Web Accessibility Initiative.
> Another reason to ensure some form of procedural language
> is kept - Internationalisation this time, rather than the braille
> using minority, or don't they count either.
>
> No Paul, I don't want to have to wait two years.

Nobody said you should wait two or three years. I said that between now
and two or three years from now, you should (perhaps) do your ad hoc
manipulations either on the INPUT to XSL or the OUTPUT of XSL instead of
*IN* XSL. But I'm not trying to stop you from doing them. The standards to
allow you to manipulate the input and output of XSL are 95% in place:
ECMAScript and the DOM.

BTW, if you get conversion to braille working as an XSL post-process, then
you can plug your post-process onto the back of any XSL spec and open up
the web to Braille. On the other hand, if you embed it in particular
stylesheets, then only a small fraction of the web will be available in
Braille.

Everything I touch turns into Python.