Re: XSL and entities

Subject: Re: XSL and entities
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:23:46 -0500
James Clark wrote:

> Note that FooML doesn't have to be an elaborate expression of the
> semantics of Foo in XML (although there advantages if you can do that).
> It can be braindead simple.  For example, for LaTeX a DTD like this
> would be probably enough:
>
> <!DOCTYPE LaTeX [
> <!ELEMENT LaTeX (#PCDATA|markup)*>
> <!ELEMENT markup (#PCDATA)>
> ]>

SHHHH. Let's keep this possibility under our hat. There are huge benefits
to getting people to rethink RTF, LaTeX, .xls, .ppt etc. in terms of XML.

> The LaTeXXlate program would pass characters within a "markup" element
> through unchanged, but would transform characters outside a "markup"
> element so that when formatted with LaTeX they would print a
> representation of that character.  For example, outside a "markup"
> element, { and } would be output as \{ and \}, but inside they would be
> output unchanged as { and }.

If this is to be done "at the same time as" the XSL process, without
linearizing ot LaTeXML, then we could develop an API for doing so. It
would probably be a subset of the DOM

It's such a
Bore
Being always