XSL Trans

Subject: XSL Trans
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:40:36 -0500
I wonder if the XSL transformation language should be split off and
designed separately from the formatting objects language. It could be
called XTrans or something.

A minor concern is that it be general enough. The more major concern is
with timing: the transformation language could probably be ready for PR by
Christmas, if James, Henry and other smart people put their minds to it.
The formatting stuff is much more intricate, requires much more "horse
trading", is much harder to implement and test out, etc.

In my opinion, the transformation language is going to be MUCH more
important than the formatting stuff anyhow. Evidence:

 * A Microsoft rep. announed major support for, and excitement about,
XTrans at XML World. On formatting language: "I don't know, can't make any
promises right now."

 * W3C employees describe how to use XTrans with CSS-formatting objects in
a new W3C NOTE.

 * Consider the proportion of questions and interest in xsl-list.

 * Transformations are the backbone of e-commerce and all other forms of
document interchange. The web doesn't even support the limited
transformations provided by architectural forms.

We need x-trans for e-commerce and we need it yesterday.

It's such a
Bore
Being always
Poor