Auto toc generation using ID #IMPLIED

Subject: Auto toc generation using ID #IMPLIED
From: "Glenn R. Kronschnabl" <grk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:26:32 -0500
This is a newbie question:

Under jade/docbook style a TOC is auto-magically generated from sect?'s
because there is a ID #IMPLIED in the docbook DTD and Norm uses the
'all-element-number' jade extension to generate a unique ID for a section
even though its not specified in the sgml/xml document - correct?

Q1.  ID is special, but not that special - I know its supposed to be
unique for the document.  However, if the author doesn't specify an ID,
than is it purely a GOOD thing that jade has this extension that generates
a unique ID for you that one can use to generate an HREF TOC?

Q2.  Is this something that one can expect in all SGML/XML
implementations?  (I guess no)

Q3.  Will something like this be available for XSL as well?

Q4.  Is there a better way to generate a hyperlinked TOC in XSL that I'm
not getting?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Glenn
Glenn R. Kronschnabl
Applied Research Laboratories        | grk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (PGP/MIME ok)
The University of Texas at Austin    | http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/~grk
PO Box 8029, Austin, TX 78713-8029   | (Ph) 512.835.3642 (FAX) 512.835.3808
10,000 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758 | ... but an Aggie at heart!