Re: Fw: Is there a way to define groups of templates ?

Subject: Re: Fw: Is there a way to define groups of templates ?
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:50:25 +0200
bclose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bethany Close) wrote:

>Hello out there, I'm one that falls into that "graphic artist
>nature". Thank you James for bringing this point back into view -
>for the past few weeks I've been working on a DTD and now I'm
>tackling the XSL - for this first pass I am not using WYSIWYG.
>Any tips you can throw my way would be much appreciated.

I'm all _for_ graphic artists using XSL directly. I just don't think it will
catch on - by definition, graphic artists tend to like to do things
graphically. At any rate, good luck!

> However
>at the present I've hit a stumbling block, and maybe one of you
>can help me over this. How do I combine sub-elements from
>different major elements, without losing other elements.
>For example, I have a document DTD that contains elements A & B.
>Within A there are C, D, E, F elements and within B there are 1,
>2, 3, 4 elements...

>This is now is pretty straightforward, however I would like to
>apply a style sheet that allows the out put to be
>Along the following lines:

(C) (D) (E) (1) (2) (F) (3) (4)

>Mixing up the order of elements within A & B, but ensuring that
>all are eventually accounted for in the final output.
>
>Thoughts?

You can do that today, without any extensions for the XSL, by using proper
select patterns. You could write:

<xsl:template match="parent-of-A-and-B">
<xsl:process select="./A/C|./A/D|./A/E|./B/1|./B/2">
<xsl:process select="./A/F|./B/3|./B/4">
</xsl:template>

Wouldn't that do the trick?

Share & Enjoy,

    Oren.