{attribute(FOO)} question (plus a few more)

Subject: {attribute(FOO)} question (plus a few more)
From: Henri <henri@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:30:33 -0700 (MST)
Hello,

I have spent a very limited amount of time playing with XSL, so please forgive
me if this question is silly.

I would like to take a document and present it in one of two ways: 1) viewable
2) printable. My problem at the moment is with my implementation of printable.

I would like to take
<A HREF="http://www.eas.asu.edu/~cse294";>Introduction to Java</A>

and output:

Introduction to Java <I>http://www.eas.asu.edu/~cse294</I>

The only tool I have tried to use is KOALA and it doesn't like (ignores) my
usage of:
<xsl:template match="A">
<xsl:process-children/> <I>{attribute(HREF)}</I>
</xsl:template>

and outputs:

Introduction to Java <I>{attribute(HREF)}</I>

if I try something like:
<xsl:template match="A">
<xsl:process-children/> <I foo={attribute(HREF)}>bar</I>
</xsl:template>

it works fine.

Am I missing something?

once that works I would really like to be able to do the following:
anytime a <A HREF> is found process-children and add a footnote (number?). At
the bottom of the page show the footnotes (#: URL).

is this possible?

thank you

Henri Naccache
henri@xxxxxxx

on a side note, where can I find a good discussion of the history of XSL?
(removal of EcmaScript etc)