Re: Dealing with markup not known in advance

Subject: Re: Dealing with markup not known in advance
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:40:01 -0400
Clark Cooper wrote:

> Say I want to transform a certain element in a document, perhaps
> putting a wrapper element, or adding attributes, but want to keep the
> content exactly the same, *including the existing markup.*
> We may not know in advance all the different kinds of markup elements that
> might be slipped into the class of documents that this stylesheet is
> to be applied to.

Something like this is likely to be added to XML. The WD explicitly says
that the language must be extended to allow the identity transform. I
don't know if it will be sufficiently general to allow attributes to be
added and removed, or GI's copied or "forged."

4'33" is rarely performed as an encore.	- Steve Newcomb
(for info about 4'33":
	http://www.lenzo.com/~sburke/stuff/cage_433.html
	http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/johncage.htm)