Re: Beginners question: Koala XSL-Engine and <xsl:process select>

Subject: Re: Beginners question: Koala XSL-Engine and <xsl:process select>
From: Tyler Baker <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:37:17 -0400
Chris Maden wrote:

> [Tyler Baker]
> > That is one way of doing things I suppose, but I don't like this at
> > all as it is confusing to deal with.  It still seems silly to have
> > to refer to the root node when only one element of a particular type
> > can be the document element.  Referring to the document element like
> > any other node makes working with the DOM a bit of a kludge since
> > you have to essentially create a dummy node that lives on top of the
> > document element.
>
> Where do you put comments and processing instructions that are
> siblings of the document element?  Where do you put information about
> the DTD (in a data model that provides that information)?
>
> It makes sense for things that are siblings of the document element to
> be represented as siblings, so there needs to be some object that
> contains them.  That is the root element.

This of course makes sense if XSL is supposed to be able to handle nodes
other than just element nodes.  I guess this all boils down to whether XSL
should just be something for content transformations or something much
more complex which handles comments, PI's, and all of that other stuff
that for the most part has nothing to do with presentation.

Tyler