Doubts regarding XSL and DOM

Subject: Doubts regarding XSL and DOM
From: "Amit Rekhi" <amitr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:32:27 +0530
Hello,
            I had posted a ques. along similar lines yesterday, but this one
is a little more detailed to help me get my point across.
            Suppose I have an XML file say A.xml:-
            .
            .
            <greeting>Hello XSL!</greeting>

            and with it is an XSL stylesheet say A.xsl:-
            .
            .
            <xsl:stylesheet>
             <xsl:template match= ?greeting?>
                <fo:block color= ?red? font-size=?16pt?>
                  <process-children/>
              </fo:block>
            </xsl:template>
          </xsl:stylesheet>

            Now when the XSL processor needs to check the A.xml for finding
the existence of the element <greeting> it needs to query the source tree.
            * Am I right?
            One way to query the source tree would be to use "standardised
interfaces"(DOM).
            * So does XSL use DOM to query the source XML tree for finding
matches in pattern rules?

                                    Thanks in advance for any answers,

Regards,

AMIT