Re: Beginners question: Koala XSL-Engine and <xsl:process select>

Subject: Re: Beginners question: Koala XSL-Engine and <xsl:process select>
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:20:14 -0400
Tyler Baker wrote:

> This of course makes sense if XSL is supposed to be able to handle nodes
> other than just element nodes.  I guess this all boils down to whether XSL
> should just be something for content transformations or something much
> more complex which handles comments, PI's, and all of that other stuff
> that for the most part has nothing to do with presentation.

XSL is part of a family of specifications and standards. XML makes a
distinction between a document and a document element. The DOM does also.
DSSSL, HyTime and the SGML property set do also. The document node idea
may be non-intuitive to someone who is ONLY going to learn XSL, but to
someone who is using the family of standards, it will make sense. The
upcoming "XML Data Model" will almost certainly support a document node.

XSL may well grow towards more and more functionality as time goes by. We
should be careful not to "dumb it down" in ways that would hurt that
expansion later.

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998