RE: How should I output "<", "&" ?

Subject: RE: How should I output "<", "&" ?
From: Kenneth Li <kli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:03:41 -0500
> Why?  Do you have an entity called STOCK or EXCHANGE?  If not, then
> that's *not* what you want to use.  It's not a matter of opinion;
> &STOCK is an SGML reference to the entity STOCK (it's not even legal
> XML if the entity exists, because it would need a semicolon).
>
> HTML browsers' acceptance of the first form is a bug, not a feature,
> and the use of ampersands to separate query parameters has been
> deprecated since before HTML 2.0 for precisely this reason.
>
> -Chris

Thank you very much for your reply! Chris.

There is no an entity called STOCK or EXCHANGE in my files. I use & to
separate query parameters. So it seems that I should change the & symbol
to other one, right?

Then what about < and >? I want to find a way to output < and >
directly. For example, if I use

<xsl:text><VAR NAME="DEST"
VALUE="GetQuoteDetail.puml?FUNCTION=GetQuoteDetail|STOCK=MSFT|EXCHANGE=N
ASDAQ"/></xsl:text>

I want to get:

<VAR NAME="DEST"
VALUE="GetQuoteDetail.puml?FUNCTION=GetQuoteDetail|STOCK=MSFT|EXCHANGE=N
ASDAQ"/>

But in reality, I was not allowed to use < and >. What is more, even I
use:

xsl:text>&lt;VAR NAME="DEST"
VALUE="GetQuoteDetail.puml?FUNCTION=GetQuoteDetail|STOCK=MSFT|EXCHANGE=N
ASDAQ"/&gt;</xsl:text>

I get:
xsl:text>&lt;VAR NAME=&quot;DEST&quot;
VALUE=&quot;GetQuoteDetail.puml?FUNCTION=GetQuoteDetail|STOCK=MSFT|EXCHA
NGE=NASDAQ&quot;/&gt;</xsl:text>

That is, the processor change the " to &quot; Why?

Thanks!

ken