RE: alternatives to XSL (was RE: Microsoft extensions)

Subject: RE: alternatives to XSL (was RE: Microsoft extensions)
From: "Lawton, Scott" <slawton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:48:17 -0500
> XML to HTML is a trivial problem

I suspect your definition of trivial must differ from mine....

> that has
> been solved with free software since before there was an XML.
> If you are into easy scripting language, Python...

Sure, I could roll my own but it seems safe to assume that one goal of XSL
is to make XML-to-HTML (and other transformations) easier than writing the
whole thing in a scripting or programming language.  Having spent more than
a week solid with XSL, it doesn't yet seem up to the task (at least for my
XML and my desired HTML).  That's fine, it's a working draft -- but I've got
something to deliver now.  So, I'm looking for alternatives to XSL that are
a bit higher level than conventional scripting languages.

OmniMark LE has been suggested (I downloaded it and will take a look);
anything else?

(Saxon was mentioned but that's for Java programmers.)

TIA,

Scott