RE: why split? [was RE: XSL intent survey]

Subject: RE: why split? [was RE: XSL intent survey]
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:37:12 +0000
Hi.

I think the field got muddied over the term "proxy"... acting as a proxy
with a smal "p" not a network Proxy Server... sorry if I confused anybody
:)

The reason why a proxy is desirable (or an ActiveX component, it's the
fnctionality not the tech that's important) is because I produce largely
dHTML sites, and it's highly desirable to be able to "squirt" the results
of server mark-up into a chosen element. The MS Remote Scripting proxy
makes it possible to execute a JScript function on a server, and recieve
the result syncronously or asyncronously through the proxy as if it where a
local function return. ie...

myDiv.innerHTML = myRSFunction();

Now the proxy is Java so it's possible to utilise RS on any browser
supporting JavaScript and Java.... It would be nice to have an XSL parser
moulded in a similar fashion. At the moment with have this functionality in
IE5, but I see no reason why it could become common to impliment this on a
wide range of browsers.

Cheers
     Guy

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 11/26/98 10:55:09 PM