Re: XSL : Another question

Subject: Re: XSL : Another question
From: "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanjiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 13:13:03 -0500
Patrice Bonhomme writes:

>Does someone is using XSL (or something else) for automaticaly generating a
>Graphical User Interface (in Java AWT/SWING) from an XML document ?

I am using XSL in that way and have developed a tool that you can use to
do it. I use XSL to generate an XML description of the set of UI components
(beans, in general) that I want to create and configure to be the UI. The
XML I generate is Bean Markup Language (BML), now available from IBM
alphaWorks at http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/formula/bml.

BML allows you to describe a set of beans that you want to create and
configure and also comes with a small (35k jar file) "player" that
"plays" BML documents to create the actual running UI. It also comes
with a compiler that'll compile the BML document to reflection-free
Java code (the player has to rely on reflection to interpret the document).

Please drop me a note if you have questions / comments about BML.

Sanjiva.
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.                      email:  sanjiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Research Staff Member                             tel: +1 914 784 7288 t/l 863
IBM TJ Watson Research Center                     fax:         +1 914 784 6324
Hawthorne, NY 10598, USA.            url: http://lanka.watson.ibm.com/~sanjiva