Re: MSXSL and MSIE5beta2

Subject: Re: MSXSL and MSIE5beta2
From: Paul_Tihansky@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 10:54:54 -0500
--- Steve Muench wrote: ---
> Presuming you are running IIS on the middle tier to make your
> existing early MSXML scenario work, you should be able to
> move to your new environment by:
>
>   1. Installing IE5 Beta 2 on your Web Server Machine
>
>   2. Rewrite your old XSL stylesheets to use new XSL vocabulary/syntax
>
>   2. Updating your ASP scripts

     Actually, my objectives are simpler than that.  Currently, I provide
separate links for my HTML and XML documents.  If they have an XML-aware
browser, they can click on the XML.  To see what I mean, you can go to
"http://www.voicenet.com/~tihansky/3x3fl/coaches.html"; .  To generate the
HTML file, I use MSXSL on the server-side to do a 1-time conversion.  I'm
using my ISP's server, so I don't use ASP or IIS.

--- Guy Murphy wrote: ---
> All the MS technology is very much beta at the moment (MSXSL was
technicaly
> a preview, not even a beta), so if you push ahead with it now, you must
be
> prepared to have adjustments to make in the future. MS clearly warns that
> the state of play is likely to change.
>
> To answer your question, there is a more up-to-date implimentation of XSL
> with IE5b2, and it will run on the server-side. It is however markedly
> different from the preview MSXSL.

     I understand that I'm using a preview version of XSL, but my view is
if it makes my life easier, why should I care how likely it is to change.
I only have 1 stylesheet which only took me less than an hour to modify it
from the "proposed"-XSL to the "19980818"-XSL syntax.

     Now I'm just proposing it would be even easier for me if I had a
version of MSXSL which used the same XSL Processor as MSIE5b2.  I will
check out Microsoft's site again, although I didn't see anything on the
first pass.  I will also experiment with the Koala XSL Processor.

Thanks,
Paul Tihansky