re: syntax feedback

Subject: re: syntax feedback
From: Andy Dent <dent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 16:04:02 +0800
>I find the XSL pattern syntax confusing.
me too! I find it appalling and intimidating.

I've never been a good abstract logic or math person, but I've done well
with application frameworks and cross-platform c++ so I've got fair proof
that I'm not stupid, just think differently from the people who understand
this stuff.

I wonder if the design reflects the academic thinkers driving the process?

>Is there a mechanism in place for "usability testing"?
I'd say not, judging by the results. I've been through this with our OOFILE
product - the database API was designed with about 40 people providing
feedback on a mailing list.

We changed the syntax whenever something was hard to understand, or could
lead to misinterpretation (like your wonderful xsl:when example). I'm not
saying this process was easy, but the feedback on the results has been
uniformly positive.

Having a strong background in UI design and usability was my motivating
force, plus a belief that if you're going to sell an API to people you owe
it to them to make it as easy as possible.
Andy Dent BSc MACS AACM, Software Designer, A.D. Software, Western Australia
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability
http://www.highway1.com.au/adsoftware/crossplatform.html
In SF for Macworld Jan 1st-9th 1999, at the AppMaker stand in DevDepot