RE: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: RE: alternating tags in a list?
From: "Vun Kannon, David" <dvunkannon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:02:15 -0500
	I agree that the issue is the choice to eschew arithmetic, boolean
and character expressions in the pattern matching syntax. I have hoped that
this will be corrected by the larger Query Language process.
	The development of SQL should be taken as a lesson to all language
designers (what it does right and wrong). Chris Date has pointed out that at
the beginning of SQL's life, it was felt that the language should not
attempt to be a complete language, rather SQL would need to be embedded in
other languages. This is now seen as a mistake. Commercial implementations
add the constructs that the language is missing in incompatible ways. In
particular, Date, in his excellent Foundation for Object/Relational
Databases, p. 169, points to Jon Bentley's classic "Little Languages" paper
(available in More Programming Pearls).
	The implication for XSL from this, IMHO, is that the pattern match
syntax should contain the basic arithmetic, boolean and string operators and
constant representations.
Cheers,
David vun Kannon