Re: FW: XSL with scripting

Subject: Re: FW: XSL with scripting
From: Keith Visco <kvisco@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:00:33 -0500
Didier,

 Yes, eventually this will probably be what happens, but for now, since
Netscape does not support XSL, unless you have a plugin, and IE supports
it only in beta, I recommend using the XSL processor on the server. We
do this here at MITRE and quite effectively.

 We query a couple of different databases and turn the query result into
an XML document. Depending on the request, we can return just the XML or
we can run it through a stylesheet. The reason we allow returning the
XML is so that we can provide a service to any other applications
wishing to get at the data. Its actually quite efficient, thought I do
agree that it would be faster just to convert the data into the desired
format. We lose the flexibility of the stylesheets if we do that and we
decided that the tradeoff was in favor of XSL.

--Keith