Re: XSL with scripting

Subject: Re: XSL with scripting
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:32:08 -0600
"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> "Users ceded"?  What?  Never mind.  Must have been one of those checks they
> send out where if you cash it, you've signed a contract.

Yes, it is somewhat like that. When you consume the products that the W3C
creates, you confer legitimacy just as if you were paying cash for them.

> Vendors confer
> legitimacy on the W3C, not users.  Vendors have the votes, after all, not
> users.

As web developers we can ignore standards and they will die: client-side
Active-X and client-side VBScript are examples. If developers chose to
ignore W3C standards the W3C would cease to exist.

You claim that open processes are the "next step". My claim is that the
W3C won't reform until it is given incentive to do so. The only incentives
I can think of are a) standards making competition and b) the risk of
people ignoring W3C standards.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"In spite of everything I still believe that people are basically
good at heart." - Anne Frank